Mr McCall is in school everyWednesday. During this time every child in the school gets to see him. He runs a singing assembly for years 1-6, where a variety of songs are covered, from hymns to current pop songs. As well as this Mr McCall visits every class. The goal is to create an atmosphere throughout the school in which music is both appreciated and encouraged.
- Nursery & Reception - A session with Mr McCall and his guitar! Singing all the old favourites such as "The Wheels on the Bus" & "I am the Music Man" that parents will know, as well as some new ones that the children can teach you at home.
- Year 1 - Introducing music through rhythm games, clapping and using simple percussion. The children will explore songs and make up their own simple rhythms and patterns.
- Year 2 - Following on from year 1, the children will further their knowledge of rhythm and pulse as well as be introduced to simple musical notation.
- Year 3 - Here the children will experiment in making their own music, creating "sound pictures" and playing instruments in small groups as well as looking more at how we can write music down.
- Year 4 - More creativity and more complexity as the children learn how musicians work together to create full pieces.
- Year 5 - Composition now becomes the key skill as the children learn to work alone and in groups to produce full ensembles. The children also study well-known pieces in more detail
- Year 6 - In preparation for moving on from school, year 6 will by now have a good sense of rhythm and musical creativity in order to produce full songs including lyric writing. The goal is for the children to be able to take an active part in music at their next school.