A Year 1 child is expected to know:
- Be able to count on in 2s, 5s and 10s to 100
- Know one more and one less than any numbers to 100
- Know all odd and even numbers to 100
- Find missing numbers in sequence up to 20
- Add 2, one-digit numbers to 20
- Add 3, one-digit numbers to 20
- Know all number bonds for numbers to 20, e.g. 2+4, 5+6,17+3, etc.
Shape and Measures
- Name the following shapes: triangle, circle, square and rectangle
- Tell time to the hour and half past the hour
- Recognise the £1, 50p, 20p, 10p, 5p, 2p and 1p coins
- Name the days of the week
- Name the months of the year
A year 1 mathematician
Number and place value
- I can count to and across 100, forward and backwards ,beginning with 0 or 1 from any number.
- I can count in multiples of 2, 5 and 10.
- I can count, read and write numbers to 100 in numerals.
- I can say what is one more or one less than any number.
- I can read and write numbers from 1 to 20 in numerals and words.
- I can identify and represent numbers using objects and pictorial representations including the number line and use the language of: equal to, more than, less than (fewer), most least
- I can represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts to 20.
- I can add and subtract 1-digit and 2-digit numbers to 20, including zero.
- I can read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition, subtraction and equals signs.
- I can solve one-step problems that involve addition and subtraction, using objects and pictorial representations.
- I can solve missing number problems.
- I can solve one-step problems involving multiplication and division, by using concrete objects, pictorial representations and arrays.
- I can recognise, find and name a half of an object, shape or quantity.
- I can recognise, find and name a quarter of an object, shape or quantity.
- I can compare, describe and solve practical problems for lengths and heights; mass/weight; capacity and volume; and time.
- I can measure and begin to record lengths and heights; mass/weight; capacity and volume; and time.
- I recognise and know the value of different denominations of coins and notes.
- I can tell the time to the hour.
- I can tell the time to half past the hour.
- I can draw hands on a clock face to show these times.
- I can sequence events in chronological order using language.
- I recognise and use language relating to dates, including days, weeks, months and years
Geometry – properties of shapes
- I recognise and can name common 2D shapes (rectangles, including squares, circles and triangles.
- I recognise and can name common 3D shapes (cuboids, including cubes, pyramids and spheres.
Geometry – position and direction
- I can describe position, directions and movement, including half, quarter and three-quarter turns.